Global Entry for Citizens of the United Kingdom
Trusted Traveler Program expands
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) expanded its partnership with the United Kingdom by offering Global Entry to UK citizens. Global Entry, a CBP Trusted Traveler Program, allows for expedited clearance of pre-approved, low-risk travelers into the United States. Currently available at 46 U.S. airports and 13 preclearance locations, Global Entry streamlines the screening process at airports, and will make it easier and faster for you to enter the USA.
Before you apply for this trusted traveler program, here are a few things you might want to know.
What other benefits come with Global Entry?
Once a UK citizen is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. TSA Precheck allows low-risk travelers to experience a more efficient security screening at U.S. airport checkpoints for domestic travel in the U.S. Simply enter your Global Entry passenger ID number when booking your ticket to access TSA Precheck during your trip.
Who is eligible for Global Entry?
UK citizens are eligible for Global Entry, but must first apply with the UK Home Office before submitting a Global Entry application. All UK Global Entry participants must have a valid passport and Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP.
Who is ineligible for Global Entry?
You may not be eligible for participation in the Global Entry program if you:
- Provide false or incomplete information on the application.
- Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges.
- Are subject of ongoing investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency.
- Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation.
- Cannot satisfy CBP of your low-risk status.
How much does Global Entry cost to enroll?
UK citizens first pay a £42 processing fee through gov.uk. If the applicant passes the UK vetting, they will then receive a “UK Access Code,” which applicants will enter when applying for Global Entry through CBP’s Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and must be paid online.
What is the application process?
- Apply Online with the GOV.UK: Complete an online application, pay the £42 processing fee, and obtain a “UK Access Code.”
- Apply Online with CBP: Complete a GOES online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
- Schedule an Interview: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your GOES account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
- Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect biometric information, for example, scan your fingerprints.
- Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.
What is the duration of my Global Entry membership?
Global Entry membership lasts for 5 years. Global Entry members are eligible to re-enroll every five years, provided they meet all Global Entry requirements.